Monday, October 15, 2007

How to be a Patriot

It happened again. This time is was the Navy. At least they had the decency to wait until after my son turned 18. The Army, the Air Force and the Marine recruiters all called my son - at home and asking for him by his name - while he was a still a minor. And the mail that comes to his/my home is addressed to him as well - not “to the parents of Matthew Althouse.”

The San Juan Unified School District kindly provides the information to the military recruiters, directed by provisions in the Education Code as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act. Although not thrilled with this provision in the act, I have stopped fighting, at least on my son’s behalf. I know he is not joining and he is my youngest - I’m through. From a personal perspective, this battle is over - I win.

But there is still a nagging question… What if?

What if they had reached my son? What if they had convinced him to enlist? What if they had sold him before I even had a chance to discuss it with him?

Before we go any further, let’s get a couple of things straight: No one loves this country more than I do - I am as patriotic as one can be. To prove it, I question my government with great regularity. Furthermore, I have nothing against the principle of serving in the military and, more importantly, nothing against any of my sons serving themselves. In fact, there is great virtue in serving and much opportunity available. Granted and granted.

However…

Now is not the time. I am not willing to send my boys to Iraq to be just another pawn in this administration’s deadly game. Of course, the decision is ultimately theirs and if they decided to go, that decision would be supported. But know this also - if I get to them before some recruiter does, there’s not a snowball’s chance in Iraq that they would make that decision.

Taking this stand does not take away from the honor of those who are serving in Iraq. Not supporting this administration’s policies does not mean I do not support our troops. The notion that disagreeing with the administration regarding the war somehow means I do not support the troops is idiotic. I have the utmost respect for them and their families should be proud. I would be if my kids were there.

Raymond Spencer, Sr. is. He last spoke with his son on June 17 - Father’s Day. Raymond Spencer, Jr. was scheduled to come home on leave from Iraq on July 1. He never made it. On June 21 he was killed in action when a rocket-propelled grenade struck his Bradley fighting vehicle. Just 23 years old, Spencer, Jr. wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps as a soldier... as a combat veteran. Before enlisting, father and son discussed the risks involved... the pros and the cons. Spencer, Jr. wanted to be a soldier. Raymond Spencer, Sr. is proud of his son - his only son.

Whether Matthew follows in my footsteps or not is really not important. It is, however, vitally important that I have a voice in that decision-making process, just like Raymond Spencer, Sr. did with his son. When military recruiters try to circumvent my parental influence, it is irritating like nothing else. This is my government - nationally at the level of the military and locally at the level of the school district - trying to bypass my rights and obligations as a parent and sell my son on a future we didn’t discuss.

Yea, I’m questioning my government. I am a patriot.

3 comments:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Good use of personal experience and a familiar theme - something that columnists use to great advantage.

You get on a tear about something, and write about it from time to time, with just a few little surprises for readers.

This column was very effective in its use of examples (Spencer) and has a nicely done conclusion.

Wonder if Dick Cheney might read it?

Snaggle Tooth said...

It is a duty to bring up the undermining of your parental rights. You have a right to publicly not agree with the school district n administration's tactics regarding the personal lives of your children.

Something should be done (You've written a letter to stop it, yet they persist).

The problem with selling the Iraqi Forces's future benefits, is some soldiers, like Ray Spencer Jr, don't get a future, n that's not in the pitch...

You are in a righteous position.

flleenie said...

I'm proud to be an American!!!

(enough said)