Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Lion's Den

A friend was recently laid off her job after nine years of employment. These things happen even in a good economy and even to good employees; it’s life. She filed for unemployment, is looking for a new job, enrolled for classes at the local junior college and is otherwise proactively dealing with this major upheaval in her life. She is 38, she’s healthy and her husband is self-employed. Since she received her family’s health insurance through her employer, they are now in need of their own plan.

She was turned down due to a pre-existing condition. Allergies. Yes, allergies. Nothing exotic, mind you. No lethal food allergies; she doesn’t have to avoid peanuts or shellfish. She is not going to go into anaphylactic shock over some esoteric medication - no, we’re talking about plain old hay fever. A dangerous pre-existing condition if there ever was one. It is only but a symptom of the general meltdown in our health-care system.

Although there are far too many issues, both global and specific, to enumerate here, there is an overarching unfairness to how the alliances fall out. There are essentially three players in the game: The caregivers (doctors, hospitals, etc.), the insurance company and the patient. Although there is an almost sacred relationship between the doctor and patient and certainly an economic relationship between the insurance company and its customer, these alliances both crumble when it comes to who is legally responsible for paying the bill.

Stories circulate about how doctors and other caregivers are bound by the insurance companies in what they can and cannot do. They would have us believe that the three-piece suits dwelling in glass towers dictate their every move. Conversely, the insurance industry tells of the sky-rocketing cost of medical care and that they will surely go broke if they can’t somehow control their costs. Neither the caregiver nor the insurance company wants us to know that they enjoy a symbiotic relationship; that they are on the same side; it is really these two powerhouses versus the patient.

Blue Cross of California recently settled a class action lawsuit because it was refusing, without cause, to pay the claims of its customers. It is one of many lawsuits against insurance companies. Blue Cross had no trouble paying it. They still won. Even after the legal expenses and after the payouts to their “customers,” Blue Cross is still doing just fine, thank you very much. They’re holding all the cards, along with the doctors and hospitals and the supporting cast, this alliance is in the business of collecting money - from you. And they are good at it.

Because the patient holds the ultimate legal responsibility to pay for his or her medical bills regardless of whatever insurance coverage is in effect, the insurance company can afford to drag it’s feet when it comes to paying; the bill collectors are not coming after them. Someone pays the caregivers eventually - insurance (after two, three or more billings), the patient who can afford it (often paying what the insurance company should have but didn’t), by inflating the costs to everyone else and finally by the taxpayers. The insurance industry collects premiums from you and then actively avoids - successfully - ever paying for your care. And these two players are playing the game all day every day.

The “responsible” party is the newcomer. The patient comes in as prey. Wandering into the lion’s den often already wounded by a catastrophic accident or illness, the patient does not know the rules or even that there is a game. He or she is expecting the insurance company to uphold its contract and the doctors to provide the best possible care no matter what the cost. Foolish patient! The ultimate responsibility is theirs and often the cold hard reality comes far too late. As long as the responsibility party is the weakest player in the game, the patient will continue to lose.

13 comments:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Allergies. Good grief...
You paint a good overall picture, but I must admit, I was hoping you had some possible solution in mind for this mess - maybe in a future column?

Good use of both the personal (your friend) and more global references... It made a good balance.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

what caused her allergies? Maybe something was wrong w/the building.

michele send me - she made me take claritin first

-E said...

Hopefully your friend finds insurance soon. I've just had to change insurance too and Blue Cross Blue Shield denied me because they don't cover mental health and I had been on antidepressants for three months 5 years ago after being raped. So they use pretty asinine things to reject people. But I found Aetna to be reasonable. I had allergies on my list and they didn't reject me.

Michele sent me. Have a good weekend.

Mike Davis said...

Hi Mike, I'm here from Michele today.

The healthcare system is the primary reason I will not grow old in America.

I've needed or been with somebody who needed healthcare in developed countries such as the UK, Spain, Denmark, France and in developing nations like Ghana, Malaysia, Singapore, Kuwait, etc. etc.

Only in the USA is cost prohibitive and treatment secondary to ability to pay.

Who's really the third world country?

Janet said...

Hay fever? C'mon...that's just crazy. My dental insurance won't cover proactive treatments to ensure I don't get gum disease, but are more than happy to cover treatment FOR gum disease. *rolling my eyes*

Hi, Michele sent me :-)

Pat said...

Hi Mike . just visiting from Michele's. I'm sad to read of your friend's experience especially as we in the UK tend to follow - eventually - in your wake. Sometimes it's a good thing but this isn't one of them.

Shephard said...

I've heard some of the democrats talk about need for reform of just that. We can hope, but you're right... responsibility falls on our shoulders to do research and get references and be vocal. It sucks.
I hope your friend finds alternative insurance.

Michele sent me to say TGIF.
~S

Anonymous said...

I'm disgusted with the whole thing, insurance and the mainstream treatments they (supposedly) cover. Deaths from prescribed drugs are rising, rebound symptoms and side effects can be worse than the problem they are used to treat.

Get me back to the garden!

Signed, Michele and me.

Margaret said...

The whole maze of insurance is complex and frustrating. I get so aggravated and wonder how anyone without a medical background manages it. At least I'm a nurse and I know the language.

mckay said...

sounds like a class action lawsuit against a huge insurance company is needed to knock the axis off kilter.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I agree the patient is the prey.

When I left the last job with health benefits by Blue Cross, they attached a reference IC9-code (used in medical billing) to deny me coverage in the future due to my allergies also.

I do have both mild and life-threathening reactions, tho been lucky to avoid those bigger problems recently. Currently, I'm not insured, n it's now a state law (MA) I'm breaking! (I've fallen thru the crack, n I can't get out)!

Doctors have to paper fight tooth n nail to get paid from Insurance around here. I know a new Doc having a heckova time trying to pay back hundreds of thousands in student loans due to the situation you describe.

carmilevy said...

Another reason why I love living in Canada. Society's just a little more caring about health care.

It frightens me to think how, in the U.S., ordinary folks can literally be screwed out of their lives in a blink. Scary to my core.

And Michele's. She sent me tonight to wish you only good health. Always.

jules said...

Allergies? You've got to be kidding! Happy Friday! Michele sent me!