Friday, September 28, 2007

Livin' in the Future

This is not a column about Bruce Springsteen. It is not a review of his soon to be released album, “Magic,” or an endorsement thereof. Indeed, I have never been a Springsteen fan. It’s not that I dislike the man or his music; I just never understood the hype.

Perhaps I wasn’t listening close enough.

Springsteen and the entire E Street Band performed on NBC’s Today Show this morning, “on the plaza,” like so many other performers who are promoting… something. A new album or a tour usually, but sometimes it is something more. As big as the Today Show gig is, Springsteen certainly doesn’t need NBC’s help selling records or tickets.

Among the characteristics many associate with Springsteen, patriotism has to be right up there. He is as American as apple pie and Chevrolet. Although he has made political statements in his music in the past, this album takes the gloves off. When introducing “Livin’ in the Future,” a track from his new album, Springsteen makes the following statement while the E Street Band plays a soft prelude:

“This is a song called ‘Livin’ in the Future,’ but it’s really about what’s happening now. Right now! The things that we love about America like cheeseburgers and french fries... the Bill of Rights, V-twin motorcycles... trans fats, the Jersey shore… We love all those things. However, in the past six years, we’ve had to add to the American picture: Rendition; illegal wiretapping; voter suppression; no habeas corpus; neglect of our great city New Orleans and her people; an attack on the Constitution and the loss of our best young men and women in a tragic war.”

More than just a list of gripes, Springsteen goes on with his own call to action.

“This is a song about things that shouldn't happen here happening here. Right now we plan to do something about it. We plan to sing about it. I know it’s early, but it’s late. So come and join us.”

It is interesting that his last album with the E Street Band, “The Rising," was released in 2002 - just before the junior Bush’s war in Iraq. It is probably safe to say Springsteen doesn’t need the money and equally safe to say that he did not need to produce a new album to sell out a tour. No, it is clear there is something else he needed to do. He needed to exercise his first amendment right to freedom of speech - before it too has been swallowed up by a fear-mongering, power-hungry and arrogant administration. More than a right, it is likely that Springsteen views it as a responsibility.

The chorus from “Livin’ in the Future” warns, “We're livin' in the future. And none of this has happened yet.” It’s an ominous message and a thread that runs throughout the entire album.

So often the arts have been the conduit for political change. So many artists have been the victims of suppression, exile and and many have paid for their activism with their lives. In America our right to vocalize our disagreement or even our disenchantment with the government is guaranteed by the Constitution - but as Springsteen points out, so too are so many other rights that are slowly being eroded by our government.

They call him the “Boss,” a moniker I have always taken issue with - my reply always, “He’s not my boss.” But in this case at least, I’ll take heed of his message. His values, when it comes to nationalism… to constitutionalism, are absolutely mine.

He asks some very pointed questions. Today, I am listening.

22 comments:

Pat said...

Oh I'm so glad to read something positive about him. I have always appreciated his music - especially Streets of Philadelphia but various friends, when I have enthused about him, have been negative. Great post for me to read Mike. Thank you!
Hi from Michele.

Anonymous said...

I wandered over here through Michele. Looks like I need to read up on some lyrics. I've never bothered listening to Springsteen by choice before, I shall have to make an exception for this one. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

craziequeen said...

Hi Mike, Michele sent me to say hi and see what's under the microscope at Security vs Liberty.

Since the Iraq War (first time around) began we have been getting progressively more cynical about celebs voicing 'our' disapproval.
Are they doing it because they really believe in it, or because they think we want them to believe in it?

I would like to think the Boss is being wholly altruistic - but I'm very much afraid I can't.

cq

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, I haven't been to this blog yet... :)

But, Michele sent me by today!

I'm really, really not a fan of Springsteen and his lyrics most of the time. Thanks for talking at length about this.

carmilevy said...

Thank God we live in a part of the world where these rights remain inalienable. As I watch what's happening in Burma, your words take on even more eloquence than they already have.

I've always tended to view musicians through two lenses. I hate most of them: I think most music today is shallow and unlistenable. It's stuffed into pre-defined formats that detached radio stations play to audiences that just don't care.

But my other lens - artist as commentator - is far more pleasing to my soul. They're the poets of our time, those with the freedom to share their thoughts in ways that can reach us even when we're not paying attention.

I won't buy a Springsteen album because the music does nothing for me. But I, too, have immense respect for the courage of his convictions, and for a society that still sacrifices to ensure he retains the right to ply his trade.

carmilevy said...

...and a society that allows me to post this comment.

Burma, apparently, has had its Internet access cut off thanks to the wackos who run their government. Michele sent me here today to let you know that's definitely not cool.

Karen said...

Hmmm....I stopped listening to Springsteen after The River - way back in the early 80s. And I'm probably one of the only people that HATES the song "Born in the U.S.A." But I fully support his right to speak his (and your) mind.

I'll just be polite and say...Michele sent me!! I snuck in behind you on the M&G. Have a great weekend.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Karen,

Not the only one. I know of at least one other!

craziequeen said...

Hi again, Mike :-))

Michele sent me back to say I'm glad you enjoyed my scribblings.
My nanowrimo 2005 gets very dark and lots of fun :-))

There are plenty more good reads in the storystory. Stories on everything, and a couple of real life stories too.

I haven't written much lately though. That should change this winter.

cq

Sara said...

Hello, Mike, Michele sent me today...

I, too, am glad that we have the right to disagree with our government officials - and I tire from the antics and fear mongering that this administration has forced us to endure.

Thank you for posting this today...and I join you, and Bruce, in spirit and belief!

Shephard said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and applaud Springsteen for standing up and being counted. As Dr. King said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends." I may not be a Springsteen music-appreciator, but he's now a model citizen in my eyes.

Michele says hello!
~S

November Rain said...

hi michelle sent me over...

It took me to leave the US to see the big picture

To see what our gov is doing and how they are making it hard to be proud to be an American


the war
the neglect in our country and about the world around us

we are suppose to be the melting pot and the land of toleration but I have found more prejudices in the US than in Germany and France (not that it is non-existent)

When I hear people bad mouth the French (and I am married to one) and hear statements such as we should rename French Fries (which was named after the man Mr French not for the country)

or hear how a man who had helped his neighbors, gather cloths when one persons house burnt down for her kids

mowed the lawn to a man who had a heart attack but then by the same neighbors he helped was beat up and nearly killed because though he was born in the US he has mid-eastern heritage

It saddens me deeply

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I'm with you with my thoughts on Bruce Springsteen. I don't doubt he loves his country and he is a good musician and entertainer, but I've never been a huge fan of his work.

I do, however, like what he said there. I have to hope that things will get better in 2008. I can't believe people voted for that guy twice.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

And Michele sent me, of course.

flleenie said...

The very first concert I ever went to was Bruce Springsteen. It was 1977 & the music was awesome!

He rocks! That's a GOOD THING!

Michele & myself sent me!

Shari said...

Though I listen to mostly country music, in the 80s I liked Springstten. I really didn't have a favorite singer/band, just a lot of single hit songs here and there.

Kudos to him for showing American pride. Never forget 9/11.

mckay said...

it seems more and more musicians are getting political messages out in their lyrics.

our early history had lyrics about 'when johnny comes marching home' and remaining faithful under the home front apple tree. the 60's brought in more 'in your face' lyrics which seem to be making a comeback. i'm looking forward to hearing bruce's lyrics.

times they are a changing.

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Very nicely done, Mr. Althouse, very nice.

My brother, my five nephews and my niece (all adults, even my brother, sort of) all live in New Jersey where Bruce Springsteen is referred to simply as Bruce.

Not Bruce Springsteen, just Bruce. He could be elected governor of the state on a write-in ballot if he raised his hand.

The only thing I might have thrown in this column would have been a brief mention of how the Dixie Chicks were harassed and threatened when they challenged the war... But that might have led you down a road that would not have worked as well.

Born in the USA....

Bar L. said...

Hi Mike, you know I love Bruce and have been a fan of his since the early 70's. I can't say I like everything he's done, I don't like "Born in the USA" but I love the message (its an anti-Viet Nam War song, how could someone not like that?)

Anyhow this was a great post. Bruce and I disagree on certain things but I respect him as an artist, a person and a celebrity. No, he does not need money, no he does not need promotion (his concert here sold out in 2 minutes flat). He does what he does out of passion...Period.

I'll be there in the audience on 10/30 for my 17th Springsteen Experience - its way more than "a concert".

Wow, you sure get a lot of readers from Michelle, I never tried doing that, maybe I should. I don't know if I want more readers though I am happy with my little handful :)

PS I think the reason I like him is because I grew up with his words and as a depressed and lonely young woman that wanted OUT of where she was, he was one of the few that "got it".

awareness said...

Hi Mike!! It feels like it's been a while since I left you a comment.....though I do visit very regularly. :)

I was a LONG hold out.....never gave Springsteen much attention whatsoever until Devils and Dust was released. Something about the lyrics and the melodies and where I happened to be in my life journey and I was one hooked lady. I think it is my most favourite album in 10 years. Because of this new love, I began to listen to his old stuff again with a different perspective. I have found other gems from his extensive song list. I look forward to hearing his new work.

ps. I have recently been listening to Live in Dublin....I don't think it would be up your alley.....based on the type of music you have written about before. But, I have thoroughly enjoyed it......a cross between Celtic, with a few oldies and some revved up hymns for good measure.

Enjoy your week Mike.

Snaggle Tooth said...

A sales rep for RCA records once gave me his premiere "Born to Run" LP before anyone had ever heard of him, but I never did buy into the cult of the band after that.

Thank God that people like him who did influence a generation or two have the guts to get up n use their gifts as a public opinion service, n find themselves inspired by events to bring attention to the masses of apathetic citizens.
At least it's not a crime to sing yet...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.